When Eber Baker founded Marion in 1822, a handful of Catholics lived in the area. By 1844, with a Catholic population of 100, Marion became a mission site and circuit-riding priests celebrated Masses in private homes. In 1854, the Huber Shop on Mill Street was purchased and became the first permanent place of worship. As the parish grew so did the need for a larger place of worship. On land purchased by Timothy Fahey in 1853, a new church was built and later dedicated by Bishop Rosecrans. Before long, this red brick building, measuring 70 by 40 feet, could no longer serve the growing Catholic population and plans were made for a new church, to be built on land purchased by Father John Mackey. The new church, designed by John Verment of Massillon, Ohio, was dedicated in 1898. The interior of the church was recently beautified using the designs of architect William Heyer of Columbus.
Our parish school opened in September, 1875, and also served as the residence for three Sisters of Charity who taught there. A larger school was built in 1905 on Prospect Street and in 1906, a new convent was built next to the school. By 1927, the school was enlarged, and the expanded building still houses grades kindergarten through eight. The former convent, now known as the Commons, provides office space for staff and meeting places for parish activities.